Built circa 1863, the two-storey clubhouse was significantly damaged in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake.
In addition to the repair and restoration of the historic timber-framed structure—including cedar weatherboarding and double-hung window sashes in the style of the original building—extensive new additions included a kitchen, dining, lounges, accommodation and a gymnasium. The exterior grounds were totally rebuilt, with relocated staff quarters, a tennis court and car parking. The restoration has rejuvenated club membership by creating a haven for members after five years away from the site.
The Christchurch Club
154 Worcester Street, Christchurch Central, Christchurch
Category B Award, Christchurch Civic Trust Awards 2016
Heritage category winner, New Zealand Institute of Architects 2017 Canterbury Architecture Awards